A hearty & healthy breakfast is important…..even when you and the kids are sleeping in during the Christmas/New Years break! Try this “Pantry- Ready” recipe showcasing 3 items from our Food Bank.
Pancakes (*******Denotes one of our Pantry-Ready items this month)
1/4 cup frozen blueberries*******
1/4 cup dried canberries*******
- 2 cups Mountain Made Bakery Mix*******
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat griddle or skillet over medium-high heat or electric griddle to 375°F; grease with cooking spray, vegetable oil or shortening. (Surface is ready when a few drops of water sprinkled on it dance and disappear.)
- Stir all ingredients until blended. Pour by slightly less than 1/4 cupfuls onto hot griddle.
- Cook until edges are dry. Turn; cook until golden.
- Note: If you like thin pancakes, use 1 1/2 cups milk.
Leftovers? Stack cooled pancakes between sheets of waxed paper. Wrap in aluminum foil and freeze. To reheat, unwrap pancakes and removed waxed paper. Heat on ungreased cookie sheet in 400°F oven 5 to 7 minutes or until hot, or microwave uncovered on high until hot.
For a twist try instead using 1 egg and 1 1/3 cups of milk and making them in a WAFFLE IRON! They freeze great too and are less expensive and more yummy than the store-bought ones.
Pancakes are one of America’s oldest–and favorite–types of quick bread. Both Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin are said to have served and enjoyed these griddle-cooked breakfast cakes.
Don’t flip ’em more than once! Repeated cooking on both sides toughens rather than browns the pancakes.
For uniformly shaped pancakes, pour the batter from an ice-cream scoop or 1/4-cup measure.
Heart-Healthy and Delicious Salmon Patties
2 (15 ounce) cans pink salmon*******
1 onion, finely diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 saltine crackers, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 stalk celery (optional)
- 1 cup Mountain Made Bakery Mix*******
- 1/8 cup canola oil
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine salmon, onion, egg, crackers, salt, pepper, and celery. Mix well.
- Make patties out of salmon mixture and roll in Bakery Mix.
- In a large frying pan over medium high heat oil for frying. Place salmon patties in oil and fry on both sides until golden brown. Drain well. Serve warm.
Dipping Sauce- for an added treat mix 1 cup of sour cream (or yogurt) with 1/4 cup of salsa to take these over the top!